Usability, content, search and analytics on the corporate intranet

Monthly Archives: September 2010

Intranet redesign, Phase 6: communications, launch and evaluation

30 Sep 2010

Familiarisation To help staff become acquainted with the new look and feel and functionality before the launch, we published a set of *intranet familiarisation* videos, using the new intranet template, and linked them from the existing intranet via a feature story. In the month before launch we scheduled several intranet feature articles detailing the forthcoming […]



Intranet redesign, Phase 5: migration, content freeze, dual publishing

30 Sep 2010

The end is in sight Remember that migration plan from phase 2? Having decided to publish back-issues of news stories to the start of 2009, I could quantify how much content we would need to migrate. I managed to cut the original content from 6416 entries down to 3000 entries. Some of this was by […]



Intranet redesign, Phase 4: visual design, HTML and CMS build

29 Sep 2010

News delivery design With several stakeholders interested in news delivery across the intranet, this was an important part of the redesign. In the existing intranet, a news story would appear on the homepage with a URL from the latest news section and then drop into an archive, with a different URL. So the same story […]



Intranet redesign, Phase 3: wireframe designs and user testing

25 Sep 2010

The previous phase of the project gave me 4 main intranet sections with specific content functions and a detailed map of all the content that was cherry-picked to make the migration to the new intranet. There were going to be a fair few chunks of content left ashore, and no doubt a few stowaways. The […]



Intranet redesign, Phase 2: information architecture and content audit

22 Sep 2010 1 comment

Back in the good old days when the IT department allowed me to use DOS (the operating system that I was brought up on,) I managed to do some jiggery-pokery and get a complete intranet file-listing. And a few deft keystrokes later, I was spreadsheet-a-go-go. Content audit My previous analysis already told me what was […]



Intranet redesign, Phase 1: research, surveys and brief

22 Sep 2010

I have been meaning to write up the phases of our intranet redesign project for a long time. I’m going to blog the 6 phases of the project leading up to launch on New Year’s Day 2010. The project took around a year and a half to complete, with a core team of 4 people, […]



The intranet police are out to get you

12 Sep 2010 1 comment

If you intend to put content on our intranet; watch out because the intranet police are scouring the pages when you’re not looking. Reading your content, filled with passive voice, determined to hide any true meaning. Surfacing your documents, still labelled with a template name that was in use 5 years ago. Routing out pages […]



Intranet search engine optimisation (SEO) common mistakes

8 Sep 2010

We have a “family” of intranets and we use Google Search Appliance for our search engine. The quality of search results varies widely across the different intranets. To demonstrate the difference in quality, I tested a one-word search which was the name of a project I wanted to find out about. Let’s call it ProjectX. […]



Pseudo-social functions on news stories

6 Sep 2010

Although I blogged about introducing “social functions” on the intranet, I have to admit that they are not 100% social. In fact, I probably should have called them “engagement tools.” Here’s how it works. We have voting functions on news stories for “More like this” and “Fewer like this.” When you vote, it ultimately gets […]